Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Short and Soft Field Takeoff and Landings

Trying something new today (including a better attitude). Short and soft field operations are divided into to areas - takeoff and landings. Since my normal landings are marginal at best, the added component of short and soft field landings should be interesting!

First soft field takeoff. Intended to simulate taking off on a grass strip in the Australian outback or something... Higher rate of taxi from the taxiway to the runway. Keeping as much back pressure as possible to keep the nose gear as light as possible. Not to difficult and RC, my CFI, said that I did well.

First soft field landing. Land as flat as possible and keep the nose gear off the runway surface until the speed bleeds off. Didn't do real well. Since my landings are so stellar to begin with... Go figure...

First short field takeoff. These are fun. Line up on the runway, brakes on, full power, release breaks and rocket down the runway and rotate in seconds. Well, in a 180HP Piper it doesn't actually turn out that dramatic. Looks good on paper though. I'm told that this is a little more fun when the instructor isn't in the plane with you. Also a turbojet would be nice too.

First short field landing. Line up on the runway and then it's a little like playing pool. You actually have to call your touchdown point and land within 200 feet of the point you pick out. My touchdown point is the runway numbers. I cut the power just over the fence to the airport and guess what? I came down (hard) on the numbers. Full breaking and take the first exit off the runway. Now that's a good time!

Overall I got a C- for the day. C-, my ass, for the first time doing this, I'm bumping it up to a B-.

Flight time: 1.5

Total time: 16.0

No comments: