Wednesday, January 16, 2008

News Flash!!!

Today I'm back with my normal - and I use that term loosely - instructor, RC. I also got an invoice for $800.00 from the flight school. What? AN INVOICE FOR $800.00? Apparently, to fly the Cirrus - in addition to the $130.00 per hour rental rate - you have to join the Cirrus club for a $500.00 entry fee and pay $300.00 per month membership dues.

I don't know about you, but I have 3 children in Catholic School and plenty of other homes for my discretionary income. This is definitely not going to work... Back to the Piper Archer for me! Let me tell you there is a very compelling difference between the two planes. It pains me to go back into the Archer because the Cirrus is just so damn nice to fly. Finances trump emotions...

Back in the Archer, I was a bit downtrodden (a little plane envy) and explaining to RC that SA said my landings were perfect when we flew together. Then, to boost my confidence, RC explained, "That's because you don't have to actually FLY the Cirrus - it will practically land itself." Real nice...

So on that note up we went to the practice area. Today we were working on emergency procedures. Simulated engine out, alternator failure, engine fire, communications failures, etc. Very taxing mentally and physically.

Oh and my landings were marginal at best...

Flight time: 1.4

Total time: 20.7

No comments: