Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year's Resolution

It's 2008. My resolution is to become a pilot. Not a student pilot but the real deal. So with this resolve which, quite frankly, is no different than the resolve I had the last time I flew, I head to the airport for some more flying.

Today I learned a practical lesson from pre-flight. We had a huge storm yesterday (in Arizona that means that we had about a quarter of an inch of rain) and I noticed a little water in the fuel samples that I sumped (drained) from the plane. Once we were sure there was no more water in the fuel system, we finished pre-flight and headed out to the practice area.

We practiced slow flight and a few other maneuvers then went back to the airport to practice traffic pattern work and normal approach to landings. Today, however, rather than touch and goes, we performed full stop and taxi back landings. RC wanted to see if I landed the plane differently (softer) when we did full stops rather than touch and gos. Can't honestly say that we validated that hypothesis. I think that he is beginning to get a little frustrated (as am I). He suggested that I schedule a lesson with another CFI to see if they can provide any insight.

Meanwhile, I have been surfing the net and reading every article I find on landing airplanes. The articles describing someone's crappy landings really make me feel better - mine aren't that bad! I mean, I haven't actually damaged an airplane on landing (at least I don't think so).

Best remedy? More practice.

Flight time: 1.8

Total time: 11.5

No comments: