Tuesday, June 10, 2008

No Flying Today...


Today was my first "official" instrument lesson. After acquiring all of the stuff I needed for my Private, I had to do a little additional shopping today. My CFI uses the ASA Syllabus and Book.

To date, as I embark on my IFR training, I have invested:

The Pilot's Manual: Instrument Rating Syllabus: $12.95

The Pilot's Manual: Instrument Flying: $41.95

Low Altitude IFR Chart: $4.90

JeppShades: $24.95

Gleim Instrument Test Prep Audio: $60.00

FAA Instrument Flying Handbook: $21.95

Compared to the initial purchase of nearly $1000.00, this was a little easier to stomach!

The airplane that we were going to fly today had an alternator failure and is in maintenance so it looks like today we will only do some ground work. We are working our of the ASA syllabus and it is nicely planned and will work well for our training. The first section - or stage - is mostly review of some of the principles that were learned in the private pilot lessons. A little more in-depth but still a lot of review.

We began with a review of the instruments (the six pack + engine instruments) and had some discussion about how they work. We did a quick review of the pitot-static system. He described various types of instrument scans and then we moved right into VOR, DME, NDB, GPS, and Loran discussions/training.

For next week, he has given me a boat-load of reading in the text and AIM. It is exciting and interesting reading at least (that's the engineer in me coming out). I am looking forward to getting back up in the air though!

By the way, I am still waiting for the Arrow to come out of maintenance so that I can wrap up my complex aircraft endorsement.

No comments: