Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cross Country - CAVU


Today I decided to spend a little time flying. The "good flying" days are about over for us folks in Phoenix. Especially those of us NOT flying high performance aircraft and aircraft without air conditioning. The heat is bad but the density altitude is worse.

I was going to head up to the tall cool pines in northern Arizona. Flagstaff (KFLG) was looking nice. Unfortunately, the field elevation is 7015 ft and the density altitude was already 8,500 (Strike 1). At max weight, 180 hp doesn't work real well unless you're OK with the 100 ft per minute climb on takeoff. Not to mention that the winds were gusting to 22 kts (Strike 2). Also the briefer at flight services said that the outlook was for moderate turbulence later in the day (Strike 3).

So? Down to Tombstone? Active MOA (Hit by a pitch). OK back to Ryan. At least the restaurant is good. The weather was pristine. I didn't feel even the slightest bump and the ceiling and visibility were unlimited. It was unusually clear today - I could see the field 30 miles out at 7,500 feet.

I was a little high and fast on my approach to runway 6L. Since there is no VASI or PAPI, I had to rely on my skill as a pilot - in this case, lack thereof... After the third or fourth porpoise, I cleared the active runway and taxied to the restaurant (while trying not to make eye contact with anyone or anything). Fortunately, the restaurant at Ryan Field does not have a view of the runway and I was able to shake off the shame and embarrassment on my way inside. I had the confident look of a seasoned ATP as I casually walked in and sat down. I even looked up at the sky and nodded my approval of the weather - how cheesy can you get?

Once again, I was treated to a first-rate breakfast prior to my return to Falcon Field. I left the restaurant and made amends to N4182L for the abusive landing (I think the plane and I are back on speaking terms - the runway is still pissed).

The flight back at 6,500 feet was perfect. Clear air the entire way (little bit of wake turbulence from a B737 on climb-out). Phoenix approach told me to stay clear of Gateway's (KIWA) class delta airspace. This was odd - I transition through it all of the time without as much as a complaint from them. Oh well, I don't mind the extra flying. About 10 miles south they terminated radar service and told me to contact Gateway tower for clearance to transition their class delta airspace. OK then.

Changed frequencies and tried to contact Falcon Tower for landing clearance. Falcon and Gateway's class delta airspace are adjacent to each other. Unfortunately Falcon tower was unusually busy and they denied me entry into their class delta and told me to call back in 5 minutes! Don't they realize who I am? Whatever ego-boy. Eventually they called me up and said to enter a left base for runway 22L. Seriously, in over 300 landings at KFFZ this has never happened to me before and I'm not taking anything at all away from the controllers there. They are the best. Since I was so far out (turned a 3 mile final), I had better make a good landing to redeem myself (and keep N4182L happy and in one piece).
I love the sound of the screech on a good landing! Wow! It was a great day of flying. One of those days where you are thinking to yourself, "Can we go again?"
Flight time: 2.1
Total time: 90.0


No comments: