Monday, February 25, 2008

Deer Valley USA?

I have a friend that keeps a Lear 31 out at Deer Valley airport (KDVT) and decided to fly up to pay him a visit. This is reported to be the busiest general aviation airport in the country. Whether that is urban legend or actual fact, I can't say. I know that they do have two big flight schools there and there are a lot of takeoff and landings...

The other interesting thing about KDVT is that when you tune into their tower frequency, you feel like you have just entered a foreign country. I'll have to say that those controllers must be some of the most patient people on this planet while they actually try to help these student pilots from parts unknown learn the basic ATC operations.

One conclusion I have drawn is while 14 CFR Part 61 already requires pilots to “be able to read, speak, write and understand the English language” it is loosely governed. I'm not opposed to people coming here and learning to fly - apparently it is a cottage industry at KDVT. It worries me that there could be a shadow of doubt in another pilot's understanding of this pilot's location relative to him. Additionally, more than once I have heard the tower instruct a pilot to hold short of the runway for landing traffic to only have that pilot reply as he is rolling into position in thickly accented English, "position and hold..." Immediately you will hear the tower to tell the plane on short final to go around.

Not prejudiced - just concerned that we don't take this regulation too seriously...

Flight time: 1.0

Total time: 45.1

No comments: