Wednesday, December 12, 2007

$99.00 and a Dream

Today was the day! I'm scheduled for a "demo flight" in a Piper Archer III with a CFI named "RC". I arrived at the FBO, at Mesa Falcon Field (KFFZ), 30 minutes early (nobody else was there). After waiting nervously for 15 minutes, a young kid (25 ish) shows up and asked if I was P-Flyer. When I said that, indeed, I was. He handed me a headset and said let's go fly.

I began to wonder, is it really this easy? How cool is it to get out of your car and simply say, "Let's go fly!" How exciting! We walked about 40 yards (on the "other side of the fence") to N287HP - a 2004 Piper Archer III. It almost seemed eager for our arrival.

RC pulled out a checklist and thus began my first pre-flight. Well, actually I held the checklist while he performed the pre-flight. Loosely explaining things as we walked around the plane. Since I had been around flying all of my life, I mostly understood the terms he was using. Aileron, elevator, stabilator, empennage, cowling, flaps, etc. After a satisfactory pre-flight he said, "Let's hop in!"

We both stood there kind of awkwardly for a moment until RC said, "You get in first," (the Archer only has one passenger door located on the right side of the airplane and I assumed that he would be doing the actual flying so that meant that he would need to board first). With some confidence and a lot of trepidation, I climbed into the left seat. Since it was a little cold, (yes, it actually gets cold in Arizona) we went through the engine start checklist and before I knew it, I had my right hand on the throttle lever and my left hand on the starter button.

The engine roared to life and donned our headsets. While we waited for the engine to warm up, RC explained the various instruments to me. He also showed me the basics of operating the two Garmin GNS430s. We then listened to the ATIS (Automated Terminal Information Service) recording to get the current weather conditions for our imminent flight.

RC then contacted Falcon Ground and said, "Falcon Ground, Archer 2 8 7 Hotel Papa at Tango One with Sierra, Taxi to the Active." Huh? Ground replied with, "Archer 7 Hotel Papa, taxi to runway 4 right." RC replied, "Taxi to runway 4 right, 7 hotel papa." He looked at me and said, "Well, were ready to go. You have the controls." "I have the controls?" "You have the controls."

RC coolly talked me through taxiing and we ended up at the "run-up area" by runway 4 right. We performed a run-up and everything looked good. Then we taxied over to the hold short line for runway 4 right and radioed tower, "Falcon Tower, Archer 2 8 7 Hotel Papa is holding short of runway 4 right for a northeast departure." "Archer 7 Hotel Papa, cleared for takeoff runway 4 right, fly runway heading until 2,500 feet, left turn approved." RC repeated back the takeoff clearance. Put in one notch of flaps, turned on landing lights, fuel pump on, mixture full rich, transponder to ALT and said to taxi on to the runway and line up with the center line.

I'm now lined up. RC said to add full power and be ready to use the right rudder because the plane will want to veer to the left. I followed his instructions. Airspeed is alive! We're moving. Oh shit. Vr rotate? Pull back on the yoke. Oh that... Suddenly there is a warning horn blaring. Too much back pressure push it forward a little. Now give me a 500 foot per minute clime on this heading. OK? Sure! I can do that since I'm the one flying the plane. I'M THE ONE FLYING THE PLANE! UNBELIEVABLE!

We flew up over Canyon Lake, Bartlett Lake, Horseshoe Reservoir, carefully avoiding Phoenix Class B airspace. Did I mention that I was flying the plane? I have never felt anything like it! Adrenaline was pumping and my cheeks were sore from grinning from ear to ear. RC demonstrated some steep turns and a power off stall. Which were fun and exciting. Then he said, "My controls." At this point we flew back to the airport and landed.

I have to admit that it was a little depressing. We went into the office and he handed me a book with the words, "Professional Pilot Log Book" written on it. I opened it up to the first page and there were 1.6 hours of flight time logged. What a rush!

RC inquired if I would be interesting in taking additional lessons. How about tomorrow? Tomorrow is good...



Flight time: 1.6 hours

Total time 1.6 hours

No comments: